What Makes a Termination “Wrongful”?
The term “wrongful termination” means that an employer has fired or laid off an employee for illegal reasons in the eyes of the law. Illegal reasons for termination include:
- Firing in violation of federal and state anti-discrimination laws;
- Firing as a form of sexual harassmentt;
- Firing in violation of oral and written employment agreements;
- Firing in violation of labor laws, including collective bargaining laws; and
- Firing in retaliation for the employee’s having filed a complaint or claim against the employer.